Impact Of Shift Work On Health
The job is the goal of everyone!! Everyone works hard and study well, to establish a good career and thus reach their dreams and live a life as they wish based on the money earned!! Money is everything, without which nothing is possible!! Having a job of your choice in the company you like is again a mission!!!
These days, 9 to 5 jobs have become obsolete!! Earlier only medical professionals or those employed in hospital sectors where known to work 24*7, but these days life is different!! You can see people working in all hours but though not for 7 days a week, definitely for 5 days a week!!! 9 to 5 job is reserved only for Government employees!!!
It is a known fact that no one wishes or voluntarily picks or choose to work in shifts but various reasons lives them with no other option but to work in shifts. The reasons for an employee to work in shifts can include and not limited to financial issues, better job profile, and Dream Company and so on. Anyone who works beyond 9 to 5 hours is considered a shift!!
With the race of running behind the dreams, we are completely neglecting our health. Have you ever wondered the effect or impact of the shift work on our health? Various studies have been conducted worldwide and all the studies have proved that working in shifts have a negative impact on the health. The impact of shift work on health includes –
- Increased risk of heart diseases
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Increased risk of metabolic syndrome
- Mood disorders
- Tiredness or Fatigue
- Sleeping problems or sleep disturbances
- Disturbed appetite
- Hampered social life
- Hampered domestic relationships
- Digestion problems like acidity, ulcer
- Increased risk of accidents or injuries
- The general feeling of being unwell
- Increased risk of infertility
- Increased risk of cancer
- Increased risk of being Hypertensive
Why does shift work have a negative impact on our health? Shift work impacts our health because of the following reasons –
- Change in a normal circadian rhythm of the body
- An altered biological clock of the body
- Change in sleeping hours
What can be done to overcome the negative impact on health? Definitely, it is not practical to avoid working in shifts, hence if you are working in shifts then practice these simple measures to avoid negative impact –
- Exercise regularly
- Get sound sleep of 8 hours
- Eat nutritious food
- Fix on to the same shift is possible
- Consult a doctor on a regular basis
Time has changed our lives when change cannot be avoided it is wise to change our lifestyle as per the changing circumstances! Being healthy is important than being wealthy!!!